The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre

Make a donation to the Roald Dahl Museum

You can help the Museum to survive into a brighter future.

Any donation you are able to make will help us continue our work of preserving Roald Dahl's archive for everyone, and to inspire future generations to unlock their own stories.

 

Our charity

The Roald Dahl Museum is a charity (number 1085853) and our purpose is to help people unlock stories, exploring and enjoying their own creativity through the example of Roald Dahl’s creative craft.

We care for Roald Dahl's amazing archive, one of the most complete literary archives in the world. Within the many treasure-filled boxes you can find the first draft of Matilda, Roald Dahl’s hand-written notes outlining what kind of creatures might live on James’s Peach, and his Story Ideas Books revealing the roots of some of the author’s most famous tales. We also care for Roald Dahl’s Writing Hut, the centrepiece of the Museum experience, preserved as the magical, messy shrine to imagination where Roald wrote all of his most famous stories for children.

Our current situation

The pandemic has been a tough experience for so many people and organisations. Thanks to furlough and other emergency grants, and the enduring generosity of the Roald Dahl Story Company, we have survived the lockdown closures of 2020-21 and are delighted to be open and welcoming visitors again. However, our situation remains challenging in the autumn and winter of 2021-22.

Before COVID, we typically welcomed 60,000 of you lovely lot through our doors and more than 12,000 school and group visitors every year, generating 70% of the income we need to operate (the other 30% came from donations). Right now, in autumn 2021, our costs are back at 100% because we are open, but our income from visitors and schools is at around half of what it needs to be. Things are getting better, but this second winter of the pandemic remains very uncertain for everyone. We just don’t know how long full recovery will take.

Anything you're able to give can help us through this uncertain time. Thank you very much for your generosity, it really does mean a lot to us.