Roald Dahl's Marvellous Children's Charity is looking for a Trustee to join our ambitious team at an exciting time
THE ROLE OF THE BOARD OF TRUSTEES
The Charities Act 1993 defines charity trustees as those responsible under the charity’s governing document for controlling the administration and management of the charity. This is the case regardless of the terminology used to describe the role by Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity.
The trustees must always act in the best interests of Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity, exercising the same standard of duty of care that a prudent person would apply if looking after the affairs of someone for whom they have responsibility. The trustees must act as a group and not as individuals.
We are keen to broaden our skills and recruit new people to strengthen the existing Board and drive Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity forward. Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity is seeking to appoint new trustees to join its trustee board and be formally appointed as soon as practicable after the recruitment process is complete.
DUTIES OF A TRUSTEE BOARD MEMBER
The duties of a trustee board member are to:
• Ensure that Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity complies with its governing document (its constitution), charity law and any other relevant legislation or regulations.
• Ensure that Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity pursues its objects as defined in its governing document.
• Ensure Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity applies its resources exclusively in pursuance of its objects. For example, it must not spend money on activities which are not included in the objects, however worthwhile they may be.
• Contribute actively to the board of trustees by giving firm strategic direction to Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity, setting overall policy, defining goals, setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets.
• Safeguard the good name and values of Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity.
• Ensure the financial stability of Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity.
In addition to the above statutory duties, each trustee should use any specific skills, knowledge or experience they have to help the board of trustees reach sound decisions. This may involve leading discussions, identifying key issues, providing advice and guidance on new initiatives, and evaluating or offering advice on other areas in which the trustee has particular expertise.
• Approximately 10 days per year.
• Trustees are expected to attend an induction session at Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity prior to their first board meeting.
• Trustees are also expected to prepare for and attend all board meetings which are held four times per year during normal office hours and normally last approximately three to four hours.
• There is an additional strategic planning away day each year and it may be a residential event starting one afternoon and lasting the whole of the following day.• Roald Dahl’s Marvellous Children’s Charity will have additional sub-committees and a trustee may be asked to act as a Chair for one of the sub-committees.• Trustees will be asked to attend two to three events per year.
OUR PROCESS FOR RECRUITMENT:
• Closing date for applications: 30th September 2020• Shortlisting of candidates for interview: 14th October 2020
• Interviews with the panel (depending on availability either): 28th October/4th November 2020
• Formal appointment of new trustees: 10 November 2020
• To attend board meeting: 4th December 2020
If you are unavailable for some of these dates but are interested in the role, please let us know so that we can try to be flexible.
Salary: Unpaid – Trustees can claim out of pocket expenses incurred in travelling to meetings
Time Commitment: Approximately 10 days per year
Location: The Charity is registered at Montague House, 23 Woodside Road, Amersham, Buckinghamshire, HP6 6AA, however meetings are generally held in London.
More information here.
How to apply: CV and cover letter to Markt@roalddahlcharity.org